Head of Mission – DRC programmes
Status :Back to job offers
Appel de Genève/ Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial humanitarian non-governmental organization that engages with armed non-State actors (ANSAs) to promote their respect for international humanitarian norms in armed conflicts and other situations of armed violence, in particular regarding the protection of civilians. Geneva Call is registered as a Foundation under Swiss law. It carried out programs in 17 countries in 2017.
RoleUnder the supervision of the Head of Africa region, and in close cooperation with the operations coordinator, the post holder is responsible for the implementation of Geneva Call projects ensuring appropriate human and financial resources and adequate structure in DRC. The duty place is in Goma with trips to the field and to Kinshasa. Her/ His main responsibilities are:
- Design a country strategy based on needs analysis;
- Plan, manage, follow-up and develop projects, in full respect of donors guidelines and GC internal Rules and Regulations;
- Participate to the fundraising, liaising with donors represented at field level;
- Ensure the general management and supervision of structure, goods and staff;
- Ensure the GC team operates with clear security guidelines and procedures;
- Ensure the acceptance of Geneva Call among stakeholders in the territory covered by the office;
- Represent the organization.
- Analyse the global humanitarian situation (needs, coverage, gaps…) in the concerned country, focusing on the protection issues faced by the civilian population;
- Design a country strategy proposal along with a work plan.
- Design and implement with his team, relevant Geneva Call’s projects according to Geneva Call’s strategy and operational procedures;
- Ensure timely delivery of appropriate reporting;
- Monitor the implementation of programme’s activities to ensure that outputs, outcomes and expected results are achieved, the budget is respected, and donor requirements are fulfilled.
- Prepare, coordinate and participate to field missions.
- Represents Geneva Call;
- Identify context-based fundraising opportunities;
- Ensure fundraising at field level (proposal drafting, submission);
- Liaise with donors during projects implementations;
- Ensure timely delivery of appropriate reporting towards donors.
- Monitors donors Rules and Regulations evolution.
- Monitor the security situation vis-à-vis projects and mitigates risks as necessary;
- Design security rules and procedures for his/her region in line with Geneva Call global security framework;
- Establish security rules and procedures when they are approved by HQ;
- Prepare, coordinate and participate to field missions.
- Develop and maintain a network of counterparts with the main key stakeholders (humanitarian, state officials, civil society,..) and to strengthen Geneva Call’s role and added value in DRC .
- Actively contribute to the external representation of Geneva Call to key interlocutors (political authorities; military and security forces; civil and community leaders) through representation / participation in meetings, active networking;
- Participate with his team to the humanitarian coordination forums (protection clusters, Head of Missions forum…);
- Manage safe-keeping of information and knowledge, including filing, for the projects;
- Manage the flow of information for the projects, both internally and externally, ensuring the proper formats, procedures and mechanisms are followed;
- Manage a field structure of 5 to 7 people in Goma according to Geneva Call operational strategy and with the support of relevant departments;
- Ensure the means and goods are used, following Geneva Call Rules and Regulations;
- Contribute to the identification of staffing needs, assist in recruitment and selection processes (including coaching and evaluating) of field staff.
- At least 5 years of relevant field experience in a humanitarian organization working in conflict areas.
- Experience in developing and managing field structures; a prior experience as Head of mission is an asset;
- Experience in managing security in volatile environments;
- Advanced degree in international relations or International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights Law, political science or a related experience;
- Strong ability to analyse information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and skills with experience of negotiation with weapon bearers and other stakeholders. Demonstrable experience of engaging with ANSAs would be an asset;
- Ability to work under pressure and in conflict-affected settings, and to handle numerous tasks simultaneously;
- Willingness to work independently and with minimum supervision, and as a part of a multicultural team;
- Strong organizational and reporting skills;
- Excellent command of English and French. Swahili and other local languages is a strong asset ;
- Demonstrable computer literacy, including the MS package;
Conflict of InterestAny candidate affiliated to or openly supporting one or more interest groups contrary to the principles and values of the Foundation, or whose previous activity could cause difficulties for the safety of women and men co-workers at Geneva Call will be excluded from this selection process.
- Full time position, 100 %
- Fixed-term contract (Mission-based contract 2 years with a possible extension of 1 year)
- The position is based Goma, DRC with regular field missions and travels to Kinshasa and other countries as required).
- Preferred starting date: As soon as Possible.
- Compensation package according to the position.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearance.