Geneva Call is looking for Country Director in Libya (re-advertising)
Status :Back to job offers
Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting respect by armed non-State actors (ANSAs) for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence, in particular those related to the protection of civilians. Geneva Call is currently focusing its efforts on banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children from the effects of armed conflict, prohibiting sexual violence in armed conflict and working towards the elimination of gender discrimination.
Geneva Call is a private, non-profit humanitarian organization founded in 1998 under Swiss law.
RoleThe Country Director provides vision and strategic direction to country program in Libya. This includes the qualitative implementation of Geneva Call's humanitarian response, advocacy, fundraising, security and representation.
ActivitiesStrategy and program implementation:
- Lead on development of country strategy;
- Analyse of the humanitarian and security situation in country and identify areas of interests of work for Geneva Call;
- Ensure conflict sensitivity in country programs' design and planning;
- Provide leadership, and management, against Geneva Call tri annual strategy;
- Ensure that programs are monitored and evaluated. Utilizes the results to inform program decisions and enhance institutional knowledge.
- Overall responsible for security of GC staff and premises in country;
- Responsible for implementing GC security frame in country.
- Responsible for analysing, anticipating and managing risks that could threaten the safety of the staff, operational viability and the organization’s reputation.
- Overall responsible for all resources and implementation of programs and activities in country
- Build partnerships and represents GC.
- Manage staff, budget, finance assets and funding as per donors and GC procedures and national requirements;
- Ensure the mobilization of necessary resources (registration or renewal of registration in country, logistics, HR…) to implement the country program and contribute to the growth of the missions;
- Overall development and supervision of country teams (including coaching and evaluating) in accordance with internal policies and procedures and national labour laws;
- Promote and creates a culture to ensure knowledge sharing, innovation and capacity building and further professional development opportunities for all staff in appropriate fields;
- Communicate regularly with staff and promote positive conflict resolution.
- Ensure that Geneva Call’s work in Libya is adequately funded. Build relationships with external donors and proactively identify new donors in the two countries;
- Develop and implement a country fundraising strategy that contributes to achieving the overall aim of Geneva Call in the field of humanitarian engagement for enhanced civilian protection;
- Approve all technical and financial proposals before submission to donors and ensures they are contextual and address specific needs.
- Represent Geneva Call in Libya with external audiences at the most senior level, including with humanitarian actors, diplomats, ministries, opposition…
- Build alliances and networks within the humanitarian sector.
- A relevant Master’s Degree in political science, in social science or in international relations is required;
- Knowledge of International Humanitarian Law (IHL) or International Human Right Law is an asset.
- Minimum 5 years equivalent work experience in a humanitarian organization, including in managing teams of at least 10 people;
- Experience of capacity building and mentoring, team leadership and management;
- Demonstrated skills and experience in security management
- Strong organizational and analytical skills;
- Established network in country of operation;
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Outstanding interpersonal and diplomatic skills with experience of negotiations with weapon-bearers and other high-level stakeholders. Demonstrable experience of dialoguing with armed actors would be an asset
- Excellent English and Arabic skills (written and oral).
Conflict of InterestAny candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position : Country Director 100%
- Based in Tripoli, with movements in Libya and in Geneva.
- Preferred start date : ASAP