Geneva Call is looking for a Research Officer based in Beirut
Status :Back to job offers
Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting respect by armed non-State actors (ANSAs) for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence, in particular those related to the protection of civilians. Geneva Call is currently focusing its efforts on banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children from the effects of armed conflict, prohibiting sexual violence in armed conflict and working towards the elimination of gender discrimination.
Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit humanitarian organization founded in 1998 under Swiss law.
RoleThe purpose of this position is to conduct research, mapping and profiling of transnational actors, with the support of the Regional Legal and Policy Coordinator and the Legal and Thematic Officers. The mapping of transnational ANSAs in the region will be accompanied by an analysis of key regional humanitarian issues related to ANSAs' actions in non-international armed conflicts. The Research Officer reports to the Regional Legal and Policy Coordinator.
- Produce overall and location specific conflict and stakeholder analysis reports.
- Develop conflict data and stakeholder’s maps in graphics with analysis of drivers and triggers of conflict.
- Mapping of key ANSAs, their alliances, conflicts and humanitarian policies and practices.
- Produce detailed report on impact of the armed conflict with specific focus on protection of civilian issues in relation to ANSAs.
- Engage and develop partnership in the sphere of conflict analysis with relevant national and international organizations.
- Develop and refine tools of conflict and stakeholder mapping and analysis.
- Support Geneva Call’s regional project through conflict sensitive analysis.
- Provide trainings to national staff, focal points and local partners on mapping and analysis.
- Conduct focus group discussions on conflict dynamics in identified locations in collaboration with local partners.
- Provide analysis on political/security developments and conflict dynamics and produce monthly conflict trend analysis reports.
- Deliver context specific briefings to GC staff and partners.
- Ensure GC’s visibility, reputation and positioning in the region.
- Assist in drafting mission reports and project documents.
- Attend and represent Geneva Call as required at conferences, seminars and other fora of interest to the organisation.
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the line manager.
- Adhere to Geneva Call policies, tools and handbooks.
- Develop knowledge management capacities of Geneva Call and mapping of target audiences.
- Master Degree in peace and conflict studies, international relations, security studies, social science or other related fields.
- At least 3 years of work experience in the field of conflict and context analysis in humanitarian or international organizations.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Excellent written and oral skills in Arabic and English.
- Report writing skills.
- Proficient with MS Office.
- High level of integrity and accountability.
- Planning and delivering results.
- Good team player and facilitator of team work.
- Knowledge of conflict and stakeholder analysis tools
- Experience from researching ANSAs.
- Demonstrable knowledge of issues of humanitarian affairs and capacity for political analysis
- Very strong communication skills
- Strong logic and organizational skills, flexibility and adaptability to change
- Natural affinity for networking and relationships building.
Conflict of InterestAny candidate affiliated to or openly supporting one or more interest groups contrary to the principles and values of the Foundation, or whose previous activity could cause difficulties for the safety of women and men co-workers at Geneva Call will be excluded from this selection process. The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the Geneva Call Performance Management guidelines. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- Job Description
- Action plan
- Performance Review Template
- Position: Full-time
- Contract until Dec 2019 (renewable), based in Beirut, with travels in the region.
- Preferred start date: as soon as possible