Geneva Call is looking for a Programme Coordinator on Consultancy Contract to be based in Juba, South Sudan
Status :Back to job offers
In situations of armed conflict, Geneva Call, as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian foundation, endeavors to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection. Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit, humanitarian foundation under Swiss law, founded in 1998.
Geneva Call has recently been registered in South Sudan as an international NGO under the South Sudan Relief and Rehabilitation Commission (SSRRC). We are currently on the process of operationalizing our presence in the country by establishing presence in Juba, but with activities that extend to all conflict-affected areas in South Sudan.
- Under the supervision of the Head of Africa Region, the Program Coordinator spearheads Geneva Call’s activities in South Sudan; assists in designing and implementing projects, represents Geneva Call in coordination with other humanitarian organizations, and assists in establishing permanent presence of the organization in the country. This position will be recruited nationally.
ActivitiesSetting up of GC Premises in South Sudan
- The incumbent will mainly be entrusted with the responsibility of establishing GC’s presence in South Sudan, including identifying and establishing office premises and liaising with local authorities and humanitarian partners on operationalization of the organization in South Sudan
- Together with the headquarters, the South Sudan Relief and Rehabilitation Commission (SSRRC), and other relevant authorities in South Sudan, the incumbent will assist in identifying, recruiting, and briefing new staff as deemed necessary for the operationalization of Geneva Call’s activities in South Sudan.
- In close coordination with the HQ, spearhead local efforts for fundraising with current and potential donors by organizing regular meetings, follow ups, and briefings on ongoing activities and projects
- Draft first version of proposal and share it with the HQ for review and comment
- Represent Geneva Call in all meetings with local authorities, stakeholders, civil society, and partners
- Represent Geneva Call in all administrative procedures and legal aspects in close coordination with the HQ
- Represent Geneva Call in humanitarian coordination meetings, especially meetings of the protection cluster at the national level in Juba as well as in the field when needed, but also in other relevant working groups if necessary
- In coordination with the Communication Department in Geneva, develop, design and implement communication strategies (public, advocacy, and operational)
- The incumbent will be responsible for implementing the initial activities of the organization and working with local partners to implement ongoing activities
- Monitor the implementation of the programmes as provided in the proposals, contracts, Geneva Call’s internal policies, and financial guidelines and regulations of the organization and the donors
- Establish and maintain constant contact between the field office and the HQ to brief and update the Head of Region, the Operations Coordinator, and other relevant departments about ongoing activities and developments
- Approve release of resources to local partners as per the requirements set out in MoUs and agreements between Geneva Call and local partners
- Ensure safe protection of Geneva Call’s files and documents in accordance with Geneva Call’s internal policies on privacy
- Draft jobs descriptions, terms of reference, and other internal documents necessary for the recruitment of local staff, in coordination with SSRRC and local authorities
- Provide the overall day-to-day supervision and mentoring of junior staff of the organization until the arrival of a Country Director or Head of Mission
- Coordinate with HQ in Geneva to ensure that Geneva Call staff’s rights and obligations are met in accordance with the internal HR rules and regulations, and that their employment conditions are in line with South Sudan laws and regulations
- In coordination with the Operations Coordinator and the Head of Region, develop a security policy and plan to govern Geneva Call’s operations in South Sudan
- Draft security plans to assess the security situation in different areas when planning field missions to be signed and approved by the HQ ahead of each mission
- At least a tertiary degree in International Relations, Political Science, or in other field of social sciences deemed relevant by Geneva Call
- Master degree or any post-graduate studies in the fields mentioned above will be an asset
- Knowledge of International Humanitarian Law (IHL) and International Human Rights Law (IHRL) will be an added asset
- At least 5 years of experience in the field of humanitarian action, including roles related to program management
- Experience carrying out workshops or training sessions, meetings, and coordination with authorities or with other humanitarian actors
- Demonstrated capacity for multi-tasking, setting up of field operation, and capacity to recruit and mentor staff
- Good knowldeg of fundraising, and experience in working with key international donors
- Experience managing projects and drafting proposals, security policies, and context analysis
- Must be a South Sudanese national with deep knowldege of the humanitarian context in South Sudan
Conflict of InterestAny candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Initial contract of 3 months with possibility of renewal based on availability of funds
- Preferred start date: 01/02/2019
- South Sudanese nationality