Geneva Call is looking for a Communication, Monitoring & Reporting Officer in Beirut
Status :Back to job offers
Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting respect by armed non-State actors (ANSAs) for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence, in particular those related to the protection of civilians. Geneva Call is currently focusing its efforts on banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children from the effects of armed conflict, prohibiting sexual violence in armed conflict and working towards the elimination of gender discrimination.
Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit humanitarian organization founded in 1998 under Swiss law.
RoleThe Communication, Monitoring & Reporting Officer will be based in Beirut and in charge of:
- Supporting the definition, designing and implementing Geneva Call’s operational communication and development activities for the regional project with the objective of promoting awareness, understanding and support to Geneva Call’s mission and priorities in the field.
- Producing and implementing operational communication activities and assisting in donor relations under the supervision of the Head of Office (or legal and policy Advisor) and the support/advice from the Operational Communication Officer based in Geneva.
- Support in gathering data essential to MEAL
- Ensure Geneva Call’s visibility, reputation and positioning within the framework of the regional project.
- Design, implement and follow up a programme related communication plan aimed at promoting knowledge and acceptance of Geneva Call in the Middle East.
- Work closely with Geneva Call HQ, especially with the Operational Communication Officer based in Geneva, on communications initiatives and messaging.
- Develop and implement communication activities, campaigns, events and other initiatives in support of the project, ensuring alignment with the global communications priorities of Geneva Call.
- Research, prepare fact-checking, edit and produce professional media and communication material for various audiences and ensure their timely dissemination via communication channels across the Middle-East.
- Draft talking points and messages for the Head of Mission and/or Programme Coordinator.
- Draft briefing notes, stories, reports and other material for dissemination by Geneva Call HQ whether for global communication, fundraising or global advocacy efforts.
- Provide pictures, reports and communication material that portray Geneva Call’s project achievements and progresses.
- Create high quality media and multimedia content for dissemination in the framework of the project.
- Develop news-worthy messages, organize press-events, manage interview requests and provide responses to requests from media relating to Geneva Call’s work, as per communication guidelines.
- Undertake and organize missions and field trips with media and other official visitor in support of Geneva Call’s work , in coordination with Operational Communication Officer at HQ level.
- In collaboration with other field Communication Officers, maintain strong media relations to ensure that media have a strong awareness of GC work, keep up-to-date a database of journalists and media organizations, respond to media enquiries on deadline.
- Conduct regular media monitoring to assess Geneva Call’s presence in regional media and provide quarterly report to the Head of Mission and the Operational Communication Officer at HQ level.
- Assist in drafting mission reports, project documents, proposals, concept notes and grant reports as required.
- Develop and maintain regional specific profile and mapping of donors.
- Adhere to Geneva Call policies, tools and handbooks
- Attend and represent Geneva Call as required at conferences, seminars and other fora of interest to the organisation.
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the line manager.
- Master Degree in communication, journalism, public relations, marketing, international relations or in a related field.
- Proficient with MS Office, graphic design software and website software.
- At least 3 years of similar work experience relating to the needs of an international NGO in communications, marketing and programme development.
- Demonstrated and extensive social media experience.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Excellent written and oral skills in Arabic and English.
- Strong presentational, writing and editing skills in Arabic and English, including competencies in writing for the web.
- Demonstrable knowledge of issues of humanitarian affairs and capacity for political analysis.
- Very strong communication and people skills.
- Knowledge of the layout and quality control process for a variety of publications, and knowledge of printing requirements.
- Ability to design and implement impactful public campaigns.
- Use of traditional media and strong digital literacy.
- Computer aided design/Graphic design capabilities are an asset.
- Event organization and event management skills.
- Strong logic and organizational skills, flexibility and adaptability to change.
- Report/proposal writing and Project management skills.
- Planning and delivering results.
- Willingness to work in a team.
- Communicating with impact and respect.
Conflict of InterestAny candidate affiliated to or openly supporting one or more interest groups contrary to the principles and values of the Foundation, or whose previous activity could cause difficulties for the safety of women and men co-workers at Geneva Call will be excluded from this selection process. The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the Geneva Call Performance Management guidelines. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- Job Description
- Action plan
- Performance Review Template
- Position: Full-time
- Contract until Dec 2019 (renewable), based in Beirut, with travels in the region.
- Preferred start date: as soon as possible
- Lebanese citizens only