Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is looking for a Head of Mission Philippines – Thailand
Status :Back to job offers
Geneva Call is a Swiss International organization working to generate public awareness for International Humanitarian Law (IHL) in situation of armed violence. For this purpose, Geneva Call advocates among conflict parties to ensure they do their upmost to guarantee the safety of civilians as well protect their fundamental rights. In 2016, Geneva Call carried out 44 projects in 19 countries, with an annual budget of approximately CHF 5.8 million.
RoleTo contribute and implement Geneva Call’s Global Strategy and The Philippines and Thailand Country Strategies, by providing vision and strategic direction. This includes Geneva Call humanitarian response (humanitarian dialogue, research, community based approach), long-term development programme design and implementation, advocacy and policy and influencing. The Head of Mission also supervise the regional Administration and Finance department (functional link).
- Designs a conflict sensitive multi-year country strategies
- Overviews qualitative and contextual program implementation
- Manages the office (hierarchal link) and the Asia Desk (functional link) including human resources;
- Ensures the office and programs are funded;
- Manages the safety of personnel, programs and office;
- Analyse the humanitarian and security situation in countries and identify areas of interests for the work of Geneva Call.
- Design conflict sensitive multi-year country strategies (Thailand and The Philippines);
- Ensure gender equity and conflict sensitivity in country program design and planning;
- Ensure leadership, quality delivery, management, monitoring, evaluation and learning of the country programs in the two countries, against Geneva Call's tri-annual strategy;
- Ensure that programs are monitored and evaluated. Promote sharing of learning with others and draw on learning from across Geneva Call and externally, utilize the results to inform program decisions and enhance institutional knowledge;
- Ensure that quality standards are met in the country: for Asia Desk, country programs, program management, Human Resources, finance, security, health and safety etc.
- Manage staff, budget, assets and funding as per procedures and national requirements;
- Ensure transparent and timely financial management respecting deadline and procedures;
- Ensure the mobilization of necessary resources (financial, logistics, HR) to implement the country programs and contribute to the growth of the missions.
- Identify human resource needs, recruitment, and ensure induction and training;
- Overall development and supervision of country teams (including coaching and evaluating) in accordance with internal policies and procedures and national labor laws
- Promote and create a culture to ensure knowledge sharing, innovation, capacity building and professional development opportunities for all staff in appropriate fields;
- Communicate regularly with staff and equitably address disputes or grievances
- Ensure that Geneva Call’s work in the Philippines and in Thailand is adequately funded. Build relationships with external donors and proactively identify potential new donors for the two programmes;
- Develop and implement a country fundraising strategy that contributes to achieving the overall aims of Geneva Call, specifically to generate higher respect for IHL by irregular armed movements and to prevent unnecessary human suffering;
- Oversee the development of technical and financial proposals before submission to donors and ensure they are contextually sound and address specific identified needs;
- Responsible for anticipating and managing risks that could threaten the organization’s operational viability, security and/or reputation. Responsible for managing security in line with Geneva Call’s Policies.
- Represents Geneva Call in Thailand and The Philippines. Working with internal and external audiences, including at the highest level, to influence and inform decision makers, and work collaboratively with leaders in Geneva Call and externally, building alliances and networks within the humanitarian sector.
- A relevant Master degree in International Humanitarian Law or International Human Right Law
- Minimum 5 years or equivalent work experience in a humanitarian organization, including in managing a team of at least 5 people
- Established network in country of operations
- Excellent English skills (written and relevant local language(s) is an asset
Conflict of InterestAny candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position: Head of Mission│The Philippines - Thailand
- 02-year-renewable contract, based in Cotobato, The Philippines
- Preferred start date: 01/02/2018