Appel de Genève / Geneva Call is looking for Programme Coordinator for North East Syria
Status :Back to job offers
Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting respect by armed non-State actors (ANSAs) for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence, in particular those related to the protection of civilians. Geneva Call is currently focusing its efforts on banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children from the effects of armed conflict, prohibiting sexual violence in armed conflict and working towards the elimination of gender discrimination.
Appel de Genève / Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit humanitarian organization founded in 1998 under Swiss law.
RoleUnder the supervision of the Operations Coordinator-Syria, the post holder is responsible for the implementation of Geneva Call projects ensuring appropriate human and financial resources and adequate structure in North East Syria. The duty place is in Amude with trips to the field in other cities in North East Syria. Her/his main responsibilities are:
- Support the design of an intervention strategy for North East Syria based on needs analysis;
- Plan, manage, follow-up and develop the programme, in full respect of donors’ guidelines and Geneva Call’s internal Rules and Regulations;
- Participate to the fundraising, liaising with donors represented at field and regional level;
- Ensure the general management and supervision of structure, goods and staff;
- Ensure that the Geneva Call team operates with clear security guidelines and procedures;
- Ensure the acceptance of Geneva Call among stakeholders in the territory covered by the office;
- Represent the organization.
- Overall management of Geneva Call’s field office in line with Geneva Call regulations and procedures
- Implement with her/his team, relevant Geneva Call’s projects according to Geneva Call’s strategy and operational procedures;
- Monitor, supervise and perform the quality control of Geneva Call’s program in the region.
- Responsible for the financial management of the field office, ensuring that all financial reporting deadlines and procedures are respected.
- Provide periodic written reporting to Head Quarter.
- Propose to the Operations Coordinator the intervention priorities within the region following her/his own analysis of the situation.
- Conduct background research and prepare conflict assessment, stakeholder mapping and situation reports on selected areas.
- Prepare, coordinate and participate to field missions.
- Lead, develop and review on an on-going basis the regional mission strategy and will ensure its implementation after validation from the Head Quarter.
- Monitor the security situation vis-à-vis projects and mitigates risks as necessary;
- Design security rules and procedures for his/her region in line with Geneva Call global security framework;
- Monitors the social and political situation in the region; identifying potential security risks, undertaking mitigation measures, reporting on security incidents and ensuring following up on incidents as appropriate.
- Establish security rules and procedures when they are approved by HQ;
- Maintain and develop a network of counterparts with the main key stakeholders and to strengthen Geneva Call’s role and added value in North East Syria.
- Actively contribute to the external representation of Geneva Call to key interlocutors (political authorities; military and security forces; civil and community leaders) through representation / participation in meetings, active networking;
- Participate with her/his team to the humanitarian coordination forums (NGO coordination forum, protection clusters, …);
- Manage safe-keeping of information and knowledge, including filing, for the projects;
- Manage the flow of information for the projects, both internally and externally, ensuring the proper formats, procedures and mechanisms are followed;
- Manage a field structure of 3 people in Amude according to Geneva Call operational strategy and with the support of relevant departments;
- Ensure the means and goods are used, following Geneva Call Rules and Regulations;
- Organize the recruitment and approves the selection of new staff and consultants;
- Overall development and supervision of her/his team (including coaching and evaluating) in accordance with Geneva Call’s internal policies and procedures.
- Communicates regularly with staff and promotes positive conflict resolution
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with experience of negotiation with a variety of level stakeholders.
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- Excellent ability to analyze information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
- Experience in managing security in volatile environments
- Ability to work under pressure, travel frequently to conflict-affected regions, cities and to handle numerous tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent English and Arabic language skills (written and oral)
- At least 5 years’ work experience in a humanitarian organization, including in managing teams of at least 3-5 people.
- Experience of capacity building and mentoring, team leadership and management
- A relevant Master degree is required or equivalent experience, knowledge of International Humanitarian law
- Demonstrable experience of engaging with armed non-State actors
- French and any other Middle East languages
Conflict of InterestAny candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position: Program Coordinator for North East Syria
- Expatriate contract, based in Amude - North East Syria
- Full time position, 100 %
- Preferred start date : 05.2018