Appel de Genève / Geneva Call is looking for The Operation Coordinator – Mali – DRC
Status :Back to job offers
Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial humanitarian non-governmental organization that engages with armed non-State actors (ANSAs) to promote their respect for international humanitarian norms in armed conflicts and other situations of armed violence, in particular regarding the protection of civilians.
Appel de Genève / Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit humanitarian organization founded in 1998 under Swiss law.
RoleThe Operation Coordinator - Mali – DRC is mainly coordinating the projects implementation and ensuring its quality in close cooperation with the field team. He ensures activities are implemented by the mission in a timely manner, in an efficient and effective way, taking into account the donors rules and regulations.
ActivitiesPROGRAMS DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION
- Keep an up to-date overview of operational matters in the Region, with knowledge of GC activities in Country Offices
- Critically appraise project proposals submitted by field offices to ensure that they have a clear sense of purpose and direction
- Report any major deviations to the Head of Region
- Ensure that the quality of proposals and budgets consider value for money which fit into the overall country and regional strategy and that all parties involved understand this need
- Assist field offices in producing high-quality project proposals for funding through field visits, etc (Executive role in the final draft and sending of donor documents. Contribute towards the review of the final draft. Data collection done at the field level)
- Actively identify potential institutional funding available at HQ level and link up field offices to institutional donors and support in securing funding on behalf of the country program where necessary.
- In conjunction with the Head of Mission, manage, lead and develop several key staff to ensure the effective management and delivery of work in country including persons responsible for programs
- Ensure that staff in country carries out the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programs.
- Participate in the development of country, regional and global strategy and in policy development based on GC experience in respective Country
- Ensure that the country offices submit project’s quarterly, annual and external audit reports on time
- Work with finance staff in the development of project and country budgets
- Analyse and appraise donors/partners reports submitted by Country Offices to ensure they are of high quality and compliant with donors rules and regulations
- Follow up with Country Offices to ensure that donors and partners reports are submitted on time and in correct format
- Analyse Country Office budgets to ensure value for money and ensure that program support cost remain reasonable
- Analyse the security situation and humanitarian space in a country and whether it is capable of taking the offer of funds
- Resolve issues of non-compliance with donors directives and policies through investigation and make recommendations for dealing with
- Resolve or refer challenges to programs delivery
- Anticipates future requirements and development needs.
- Report to the Head of Region any security related information
- Consider Do No Harm principle and conflict sensitivity in coordinating project design and implementation.
- Collate and compile reports and produce data which feed into the Annual Report of GC
- Communicate with a range of GC partners, institutional and private donors and other international NGOs related to issues concerning respective countries and regarding the implementation of projects.
- Network, advocate and build relationships with people with similar roles/positions in INGOs (e.g. ICRC, NRC, Save, …), donors (e.g. DFID, ECHO) and UN agencies as requested
- Work closely with the media department to ensure that the Field Offices information in internet and websites are up to date (project profiles, case studies, photos, desk filing systems and archiving of documents and reports)
- Spearhead fundraising efforts to market projects in coordination with COM department.
- With the support of the MEAL advisor Undertake monitoring and assessment field visits to Country Offices and Country Programs to ensure programs are implemented as proposed, contracted and per donor guidelines and standards
- Undertake field visits to support and facilitate quarterly and annual programs and project reviews and lesson learned workshops to ensure programs are progressing well, delivering the planned outputs and are having the necessary impact
- Travel to GC Country/Field Offices (Mali and DRC) regularly and to other contexts as per the regional strategy defined by the Head of Region
- Carry out, where possible, any other duties of GC surge capacity that is in line with the job purpose as requested by the line-manager.
Main QualificationsMandatory qualifications:
- At least 5 years of relevant field experience in a humanitarian organization working in conflict areas, including in managing teams of at least 2 people
- A graduate degree or equivalent experience in development/humanitarian areas
- Proven track record of field work experience with INGOs in developing countries in rehabilitation; development and emergency contexts
- Experience of successfully fundraising and dealing with institutional donors and international donors
- Proven experience in Project management including Budget, HR, Process and report management
- An in-depth understanding of international development issues in RDC and/or Mali
- Willingness to travel at very short notice.
- Excellent English language skills (written and oral) and a good command of French
- Ability to work under pressure and in conflict‐affected settings, and to handle numerous tasks simultaneously
- Proven track record of working in a similar role with an International NGO.
- Arabic language skills
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, sensitivity to others’ views and perspectives, and conflict resolution.
- Good team work skills with the ability to work with different and sometime conflicting agendas
- Diplomatic skills
- Managing, coaching and training skills
- Strong organizational and reporting skills
- Experience of distance management
Conflict of InterestAny candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position : Operation Coordinator - Mali - DRC
- CDI contract, based in Geneva
- Preferred start date : March 1st 2018
- Swiss citizen or a candidate with a work permit or who may be eligible for a Swiss work permit according to current Swiss legislation