Appel de Genève / Geneva Call is looking for a Libya Project Coordinator
Status :Back to job offers
Appel de Genève / Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit humanitarian organization founded in 1998 under Swiss law.
Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial humanitarian non-governmental organization that engages with armed actors to promote their respect for international humanitarian norms in armed conflicts and other situations of armed violence, in particular regarding the protection of civilians. In 2016, Geneva Call carried out 44 projects in 19 countries, with an annual budget of approximately CHF 5.8 million. As part of its project on Libya, Geneva Call is looking for a project coordinator to support its assessment and implementation of activities.
RoleAs part of its project on Libya, Geneva Call is looking for a project coordinator to support its assessment and implementation of activities.
ActivitiesObjective: The Libya Project Coordinator works under the supervision of the Programme Manager for Africa of Geneva Call to implement the project entitled “Promotion of humanitarian norms with armed actors in Libya”. Detailed tasks: The Libya Programme Coordinator will work full time on the following tasks:
- Ongoing mapping of key armed actors in Libya, their alliances, conflicts and humanitarian policies and practices;
- Ongoing mapping of key civil society actors;
- Assist in project implementation;
- conduct background research and monitoring reports;
- development of contacts with state authorities;
- explore possibilities of humanitarian dialogue with armed actors;
- liaise with partner organisations
- help in the setting up and coordination of meetings and IHL training sessions in Tunisia, Libya and elsewhere in the framework of the project;
- ensure that work is going to plan, to budget and to timeline;
- Regular reporting on developments on field level;
- Perform any other duties as required by the Programme Manager;
- Follow-up on administrative issues pertaining to visa for GC staff to Libya and possibly registration.
- Advanced university degree in international relations, social science or any other related discipline
- 5 years of experience in similar work
- Experience working in humanitarian contexts highly valued;
- Demonstrable experience of engaging with armed actors would be an asset;
- Knowledge of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights standards;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Willingness to work autonomously;
- Excellent command of English and Arabic;
- Demonstrable computer literacy, including the MS package;
- Willingness and ability to travel to Libya.
Conflict of InterestAny candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position : full-time consultancy
- Consultant contract, based in Tunis or Libya
- Preferred start date : 1 February 2017