Appel de Genève / Geneva Call is looking for Deputy Head of Region – Near and Middle East
Status :Back to job offers
Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting respect by armed non-State actors (ANSAs) for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence, in particular those related to the protection of civilians. Geneva Call is currently focusing its efforts on banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children from the effects of armed conflict, prohibiting sexual violence in armed conflict and working towards the elimination of gender discrimination.
Appel de Genève / Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit humanitarian organization founded in 1998 under Swiss law.
RoleTo support the Head of the Near and Middle East Region in the design and implementation of the regional strategy and coordinate field operations mainly in Yemen, Iraq, Lebanon and Syria.
ActivitiesPROGRAMMES DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION
- Keep an up to-date overview of operational matters in the Region, with knowledge of Geneva Call's activities in Country Offices.
- Critically appraise project proposals submitted by field offices from an operational perspective to ensure that they have clear sense of purpose and direction and to report any major deviations to the Head of Region.
- Ensure that the quality of proposals and budgets consider value for money which fit into the overall country and regional strategy and that all parties involved understand this need.
- Assist field offices to produce operationally relevant and high-quality project proposals for funding through field visits, etc. Contribute towards the review of the final draft.
- Actively identify potential institutional funding at a regional level and support in securing funding on behalf of the country programme where necessary.
- At field level, ensures operational follow ups and coaching of 5 Head of Missions based in the field.
- At HQ level, lead and coach 5 key staff of the NAME desk to ensure the effective management and delivery of work in-country including persons responsible for administration, finance and programmes.
- Participate in the development of country, regional and global strategy and in policy development based on Geneva Call's experience in respective context.
- Draw up and monitor annual action plans with Programme Managers and Heads of Missions.
- Contribute to the preparation of internal and external audits.
- Work with finance staff in the development of project and country budgets.
- Analyze and appraise donors/partners reports submitted by country offices from an operational perspective.
- Follow up with country offices to ensure that reports are submitted on time and in correct format.
- Analyze country office budgets to ensure value for money and ensure that programme support cost remain reasonable.
- Analyze the security situation and the humanitarian space in a country and propose solutions to unblock difficult situations.
- Resolve issues of non-compliance with directives and policies through investigation and recommendations.
- Analyze and propose solutions to challenges to programme delivery.
- Anticipate future requirements and needs.
- Collate and compile reports and produce data which feed into the Annual Report of Geneva Call.
- Communicate with a range of Geneva Call partners, institutional and private donors and other INGOs related to issues concerning respective countries and regarding the implementation of projects.
- Network, advocate and build relationships with people with similar roles in INGOs, donors and UN agencies as requested.
- Work closely with the Communications and External Relations department to ensure that the information on the country programmes is up to date.
- Support Field offices in preparing and updating security plans and in their implementation
- Make sure that Geneva Call's security framework is well understood and implemented at the field level
- Undertake risk assessment of field offices and projects and advise on mitigation approaches
- Coordinate Crisis Management efforts whenever necessary as per Geneva Call's Security Framework
- With the support of the MEAL advisor undertake monitoring and assessment field visits to country offices and programmes
- Undertake field visits to support and facilitate periodic reviews and adjustments of the operational strategy
- Monitor country office to ensure that they are operating to Geneva Call's policies and standards
- Ensure the auditing of the accounts and that the necessary follow-up actions are taken
- Travel to Geneva Call's country/field offices regularly and to other contexts as per the regional strategy defined by the Head of Region Carry out, where possible, any other duties of use for Geneva Call, in line with the job purpose and as requested by the line-manager
- 7 to 10 years of relevant field experience in a humanitarian organization working in conflict areas.
- Strong conflict analysis for the Near and Middle East Region.
- Experience in developing protection activities for civilians and engaging in humanitarian dialogue with armed actors, especially armed non-State actors.
- Experience in team Management.
- Experience in field security management
- Proven track record in fundraising and dealing with donors
- Proven experience and knowledge of effective budgetary control and grant management
- Excellent English language skills (written and oral)
- Strong Arabic language skills
- Diplomatic and conflict resolution skills
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Capacity and willingness to travel at short notice
- Advanced degree in International Relations or International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights Law, political science or a graduate degree or equivalent experience in development/humanitarian areas
- Ability to work under pressure and in conflict‐affected settings, and to handle numerous tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision, and as part of a multicultural team
- Experience of remote management
- Strong organizational and reporting skills
- Very good writing skills
- Managing, coaching and training skills
- Good team work skills with the ability to work with different and sometime conflicting agendas
Conflict of InterestAny candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- CDI contract, based in Geneva
- 100 %
- Preferred start date : 04.2018
- Swiss citizen or a candidate with a work permit or who may be eligible for a Swiss work permit according to current Swiss legislation.
- Preference will be given to profile with double nationalities enabling easier access to Near and Middle East Region.