Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is looking for an Operations Coordinator Near and Middle East Region
Status :Back to job offers
In situations of armed conflict, Geneva Call, as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian foundation, endeavors to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection. Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit, humanitarian foundation under Swiss law, founded in 1998.
RoleThe Operations Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the implementation of the programme and assuring its quality, in close cooperation with the field team. He ensures that activities are implemented by the mission in a timely manner, in an efficient and effective way, taking into account donor rules and regulations.
ActivitiesFor all tasks: The job holder respects the confidentiality of all administrative, financial and HR information
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Managing operational coordination between the country programme and HQ.
- Coordinating and reviewing the operational aspects of project/programme work conducted under the responsibility of the Head(s) of Mission/Programme Coordinators.
- In the absence of a Head of Mission, directly supervising and managing country Programme Coordinators.
- Approving expenses incurred by the country/programme in its activities.
- In coordination with the Head of Region, establishing and maintaining relations with different stakeholders.
DETAILS RESPONSIBILITIES:Leading, managing and developing staff
- In conjunction with the Head of Mission, supports the development of field staff to ensure the effective management and delivery of work in country including persons responsible for programmes.
- In the absence of a Head of Mission, ensure that staff in country carries out the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programmes.
- Maintain an up to-date overview of operational matters in the region, with knowledge of Geneva Call’s activities in country offices.
- Critically appraise project proposals submitted by field offices to ensure that they have a clear sense of purpose and direction. Report any major deviations to the Head of Region.
- Ensure that the quality of proposals and budgets offer good value for money, fit into the overall country and regional strategy and that all parties involved understand this need.
- Assist country offices in producing high-quality project proposals for funding through field visits, etc.
- Actively identify potential institutional funding available at HQ level and link up country offices to institutional donors and provide support in securing funding on behalf of the country programme where necessary.
- Participate in the development of country, regional and global strategy and in policy development based on Geneva Call’s experience in each respective country.
- Ensure that the country offices submit quarterly, annual and external audit reports on time and with the necessary quality.
- Work with the country teams and HQ finance staff to finalise project and programme budgets.
- Analyse and appraise donor reports submitted by country offices to ensure they reflect the operational reality, are of high quality and are compliant with donor requirements.
- Follow up with country offices to ensure that donor and partner reports are submitted on time and in the correct format.
- Review and analyse the budgets, transfer requests, and financial reports of country offices to guarantee value for money and that programme costs remain reasonable.
- Resolve issues of non-compliance with donor directives and policies and make recommendations to correct any situation that may arise.
- Resolve or refer challenges to programme implementation and reputation risks to the Head of Region.
- Anticipate future requirements and development needs.
- Make sure that the security framework is well implemented in the country offices under her/his responsibility.
- Report any important security-related information to the Head of Region.
- Consider “do no harm” principles and conflict sensitivity in coordinating programme design and implementation.
- Compile reports and produce data which feed into the Annual Report of Geneva Call.
- Communicate with a range of Geneva Call’s partners, institutional and private donors and other international NGOs related to issues concerning respective countries and regarding the implementation of projects.
- Network, advocate and build relationships with people relevant for the implementation and development of the programmes in INGOs, donors and UN agencies, armed non-State actors, concerned States, as requested.
- Work closely with the Communication and External Relations Department to ensure that the required information related to the programmes is up to date.
- Spearhead programme-related fundraising efforts in coordination with the Communication and External Relations Department.
- Undertake, with the support of the MEAL Advisor, monitoring and assessment visits to country offices and country programmes to ensure programmes are implemented as proposed, contracted and in accordance with donor guidelines and standards.
- Undertake field visits to support and facilitate quarterly and annual programme and project reviews and lessons learned workshops to ensure programmes are progressing well, delivering the planned outputs, and outcomes, and are having the necessary impact.
- Travel to Geneva Call country/field offices regularly and to other contexts in accordance with the regional strategy defined by the Head of Region.
- Carry out, where possible, any other duties that are in line with the job purpose, as requested by the line-manager.
- A graduate degree or equivalent experience in international relations/another humanitarian field
- Understanding of International Humanitarian Law is an asset
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in a humanitarian organisation working in conflict areas, including in managing teams of at least 2 people
- Proven track record of field work experience with INGOs in development and emergency contexts
- Experience of successfully fundraising and dealing with institutional donors and international donors
- Proven experience in project management including budget, HR, process and report management
- Excellent English (written and oral) and Arabic language skills
- Strong entrepreneurial/self-starter spirit
- Ability to work under pressure and in conflict‐affected settings, and to handle numerous tasks simultaneously
- Diplomatic, management, coaching and training skills
- Strong organisational and reporting skills
- Experience of remote management of staff
- Willingness and ability to travel at short notice
Conflict of InterestAny candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève/Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position: 100%
- CDI contract, based in Geneva
- Preferred start date: 02.2019