Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is looking for a Project Officer Philippines (National Only)
Status :Back to job offers
Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting respect by armed non-State actors (ANSAs) for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence, in particular those related to the protection of civilians. Geneva Call is currently focusing its efforts on banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children from the effects of armed conflict, prohibiting sexual violence in armed conflict and working towards the elimination of gender discrimination.
Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit humanitarian organization founded in 1998 under Swiss law.
Geneva Call has been engaged in the Philippines since 2000 to promote humanitarian norms among armed actors and communities. Most recently, a campaign entitled ‘conflict has rules too’ was launched to raise awareness on these norms more broadly. In 2018, Geneva Call decided to set up a physical presence in the Philippines with an office in Cotabato City.
RoleUnder the supervision of the Head of Mission (HoM), the Project Officer (Consultant) contributes to the operations of Geneva Call in the Philippines by supporting the design and taking the lead in the implementation and the management of project(s) according to the programme plans, internal procedures and guidelines as well as donor requirements. He/she is expected to take the lead with specific project activities in the field.
ActivitiesFor all tasks: The job holder respects the confidentiality of all programmatic, administrative, financial and HR information.
Core Responsibilities:The implementation and management of project(s) in accordance with the work plan, budget(s), donor requirements and internal procedures;
- Monitor the security situation vis-à-vis the project, project partners and Geneva Call, preparing risk assessments and suggesting mitigating measures to the HoM and following up on incidents as necessary;
- Planning, Cordination & Reporting
- Participate in the drafting of annual and monthly programme plans, budgets, and monitoring plans, in consultation with the HoM and other team members;
- With the approval of the HoM, release resources to partners/projects as per approved plans and agreements and manage the reimbursement and/or liquidation of project expenditures;
- Ensure partner capacities are assessed before project implementation and appropriate support is provided to fill identified gaps;
- Monitor and report on all project expenses for budgets and available funding, including supporting documents;
- Responsible for quality project implementation and monitoring, in accordance with Geneva Call and donor work plans, budget and procedures;
- Monitor and report on the implementation of all project activities, outputs and outcomes, submitting the required reports and documentation accurately and on time, including supporting local partners in their reporting and ensuring their reports follow GC formats;
- Ensure information and knowledge is managed appropriately, including filing of programme documents and materials;
- Through regular field missions, collect and analyse information relating to the context, conflict situation, humanitarian needs and potential impact of these issues on Geneva Call’s work in the project area(s) and relay this to the HoM;
- In coordination with the HoM, engage local and international organizations regularly;
- Assist HoM in engaging senior officials and other key stakeholders;
- Support Country Mission to produce external communications materials in coordination with HoM and global/regional Communications team(s);
- Draft speaking points and messages for HoM and other country team members;
- Provide material (photos, videos, stories from the field) about the project and timely reports to showcase project outcomes and acheivements;
- Support implementation of communications strategy including activities, campaigns, events and other initiatives
- Other Duties
- Attend and represent Geneva Call as required at conferences, seminars and other fora of interest to the organisation;
- Perform any other tasks, as assigned by the line manager.
Education:Completed higher education degree in a relevant field such as political or social science, international humanitarian law or human rights.
Work experience:At least 3 years in a humanitarian/human rights/protection organisation working in conflict-affected areas. Experience with international organisations is preferred.
Technical skills:IT Tools (MS Office, Excel, email); Experience in reporting, monitoring and research; Demonstrable knowledge of humanitarian affairs issues and the capacity for in-depth analysis; Experience in developing professional relationships with various stakeholders, including armed actors, and working in a neutral and objective manner.
Nice to have
Languages:Required: Excellent English and Tagalog; Preferred: fluency in local dialects such as Maguindanaoan, Bisaya, Ilonggo, Iranun, Maranao.
Personal qualities:Understanding and respect for organizational principles, vision, mission and confidentiality; Strong logic and organizational skills, flexibility and adaptability to change; Ability to take responsibility, proactive and efficient functioning, strong communication skills; Ability to work in a team and in a multicultural environment; Accuracy and reliability, ability to meet deadlines under pressure; Driven by results.
Conflict of InterestAny candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève/Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position : Project Officer
- CDD contract, based in Cotabato City, Philippines, with frequent travel witin Mindanao and possible travel in the region
- Preferred start date : ASAP