Appel de Genève / Geneva Call is looking for a Head of Mission / Country director in Afghanistan (International)
Status :Back to job offers
Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting respect by armed non-State actors (ANSAs) for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence, in particular those related to the protection of civilians. Geneva Call is currently focusing its efforts on banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children from the effects of armed conflict, prohibiting sexual violence in armed conflict and working towards the elimination of gender discrimination.
Appel de Genève / Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit humanitarian organization founded in 1998 under Swiss law.
In Afghanistan, Geneva call is a launching a multiyear program aiming at developing humanitarian engagement with armed parties and communities as a mean to create space for dialogue on the protection of civilians. Geneva Call works in Kabul Central and Kandahar provinces.
RoleTo provide vision and strategic direction to country program in Afghanistan. This includes the qualitative implementation of Geneva Call's humanitarian response (humanitarian dialogue, research, community-based approach), advocacy, fundraising and representation.
ActivitiesStrategy and program implementation:
- Leads on development of country strategy
- Analysis the humanitarian and security situation in country and identify areas of interests of work for Geneva Call;
- Ensure conflict sensitivity in country programs' design and planning;
- Provide leadership, quality delivery, management, monitoring, evaluation and learning of the country program, against Geneva Call tri annual strategy;
- Ensures that programs are monitored and evaluated. Promotes sharing of learning with others and drawing on learning from across Geneva Call and externally, utilizes the results to inform program decisions and enhance institutional knowledge;
- Overall responsible for security, fundraising and advocacy
- Responsible for anticipating and managing risks that could threaten the safety of the staff, operational viability and the organization’s reputation. Responsible for managing security in line with Geneva Call’s Policy.
- Overall responsible for all resources and implementation of programs and activities within Country
- Builds partnerships and represents GC.
- Manages staff, budget, assets and funding as per procedures and national requirements;
- Ensures transparent and timely financial management respecting deadline and procedures;
- Ensures the mobilization of necessary resources (financial, logistics, HR) to implement the country programs and contribute to the growth of the missions;
- Identify human resources needs, recruit, and ensure induction;
- Overall development and supervision of country teams (including coaching and evaluating) in accordance with internal policies and procedures and national labour laws;
- Promotes and creates a culture to ensure knowledge sharing, innovation and capacity building and further professional development opportunities for all staff in appropriate fields;
- Communicate regularly with staff and promote positive conflict resolution;
- Ensures that Geneva Call’s work in Afghanistan is adequately funded. Build relationships with external donors and proactively identify new donors in the two countries;
- Develop and implement a country fundraising strategy that contributes to achieving the overall aim of Geneva Call in the field of humanitarian engagement for enhanced civilian protection;
- Approves all technical and financial proposals before submission to donors and ensures they are contextual and address specific needs;
Communications and advocacyRepresents Geneva Call in Afghanistan. Working with internal and external audiences at the most senior level to influence and inform decision-makers and opinion leaders in country and within the international community in Afghanistan; Build alliances and networks within the humanitarian sector.
Main QualificationsStrong organizational and analytical skills; Solid diplomatic skills with ability to communicate with high level interlocutors; Established network in country of operation; Passionate about political and security affairs in the region Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts Excellent English skills (written and oral) Outstanding interpersonal skills Experience of negotiations with weapon-bearers and other high-level stakeholders. Ability to work under pressure, travel frequently in conflict-affected areas and to handle numerous tasks simultaneously
Nice to haveDemonstrable experience of dialoguing with armed actors local language (Dari, Pashto)
Experience requiredMinimum 5 years equivalent work experience in a humanitarian organization, including in managing teams of at least 20 people; Experience of capacity building and mentoring, team leadership and management; Demonstrated skills and experience in security management
Conflict of InterestAny candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position : Head of Mission
- International contract, based in Kabul, Afghanistan
- Preferred start date : ASAP