Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is looking for a “Head of Communication and Fundraising.”
Status :Back to job offers
In situations of armed conflict, Geneva Call, as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian organization, endeavors to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection. Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit foundation under Swiss law, founded in 1998.
RoleThe Head of Communication and Fundraising manages the Communication and Fundraising Unit. He/She reports directly to the Director of External Relations & Support.
- Be responsible for the development of the fundraising and communication strategy, under the Director External Relations and Support.
- Guarantee the integrity and coherence of the organization’s external image, in accordance with its values.
- Supervise the implementation of the global action plan and define the allocation of resources needed (HR, technical, financial, etc.) and the priorities corresponding to the operational needs.
- Maintain and manage internal communication activities.
ActivitiesFor all tasks: The job holder respects the confidentiality of all administrative, financial and HR information
Management of the Unit
- Define the strategic objectives of the unit, translate them into an action plan and ensure they are properly implemented.
- Stimulate the initiative and creativity of the members of the unit when developing activities.
- Recruit and manage team members, carry out individual evaluations and promote cohesion among the team.
- Distribute the workload and ensure that the skillsets of team members complement one another.
- Ensure that the activities of the unit are managed in a timely manner in order to correspond to the operational needs of Geneva Call.
- Be responsible for managing the unit’s overall budget.
- Define and implement resource mobilization strategies to guarantee the long-term sustainability of the organization in raising enough funds from private and institutional donors.
- Keep in regular contact with all counterparts – institutional donors, individual networks, etc.
- Represent the organization at donor meetings, conferences and follow up on potential funding opportunities.
- Guarantee the integrity and coherence of the organization’s external image and ensure Geneva Call adopts suitable positions, according to its values.
- Represent the organization during external events and activities.
- Manage the development of communication tools and the implementation of communication activities.
Public information, events and conferences
- Use the proper platforms to promote the work of Geneva Call amongst target audiences.
- Identify conferences/events that are likely to be of interest to Geneva Call and explore the possibility of using these as platforms to present the organization.
- Supervise the logistical preparation of conferences and seminars organised by Geneva Call.
- Develop and organise events aimed at increasing Geneva Call's visibility or at raising funds.
- Establish and maintain regular relations with the local and international press and broadcasting organizations.
- Develop media policies within the organization, and coordinate responses to media enquiries.
- Ensure the Foundation is visible across social media platforms and develop the social media communication lines.
- University degree (ideally in public relations, journalism, communication, or marketing).
- Minimum 7 years of experience in communication and/or fundraising at headquarters level.
- Previous experience in managing teams and decision taking.
- Understanding of key policy issues related to humanitarian advocacy and internal armed conflict.
- Knowledge of institutional donors and private fundraising actors.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for a wide range of audiences, including donors, partners and the general public.
- Politically and culturally sensitive.
- Fluent in English and French.
- German and Spanish are a plus.
- Strategic reflection and good capacity for analysis.
- Flexibility, patience and good interpersonal skills.
Conflict of InterestAny candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève/Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position: 100%
- CDI (open-ended) contract, based in Geneva
- Preferred start date: As soon as possible