Appel de Genève / Geneva Call is looking for a consultancy to develop a strategic plan
Status :Back to job offers
In situations of armed conflict, Geneva Call, as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian foundation, endeavors to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection. Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit, humanitarian foundation under Swiss law, founded in 1998.
RoleThe overall objective of this consultancy is to accompany Geneva Call in developing a four-year Strategic Plan to achieve the vision of the organisation.
ActivitiesThe scope of work for the Consultant will include but not be limited to:
- Define the methodology and workflow with the Steering committee
- Undertake stakeholder mapping and analysis;
- Undertake a situation analysis of Geneva Call’s operations and support services to date;
- Through an extensive consultative process and application of an appropriate tool of analysis, identify focus areas and develop strategic objectives and key result areas for the same;
- Review the institutional capacity, organizational set-up, financial and administrative systems against Geneva Call’s vision and perspectivesand the identified strategic objectives and key result areas; and make recommendations, if any;
- Propose and draft a strategy for achieving the strategic objectives and key results;
- Develop a Results and Resources Framework for the plan period;
- Hold stakeholder meetings to validate the draft Strategic Plan orientations;
- Finalize Strategic plan and submit to Geneva Call directorate
- A four-year strategic plan including a results and resources framework
- Reports on the process including stakeholder consultations and workshops
- This assignment is expected to be carried out for a period of 5 months (January-May 2018).
- The Consultant will report directly to the Director General who is the Chair of the Steering Committee. Geneva Call will provide relevant all background documents necessary for the assignment. The Steering Committee shall be responsible for the coordination of meetings and other activities under the Consultancy.
- At least five years professional experience in strategic planning and management
- Strong understanding of the international humanitarian system, and on-going humanitarian reforms including how strategic decisions are made and how it translates in practice at the national and local level.
- Prior working experience on humanitarian and conflict issues is an added advantage
- Demonstrated experience in working with international organisations, NGOs, field based partners and other stakeholders in the humanitarian sector especially in the area of protection of civilian and armed actors.
- hold an independent position, and in particular not be an employee of a government, Geneva Call or a direct partner of Geneva Call, nor at any time employed by these institutions within the last 5 years.
- have proven experience and competence in developing strategy framework in the field of protection or humanitarian affairs.
- have an advanced knowledge of international humanitarian law and international human rights law in situations of armed violence and non-international armed conflict.
- should be available to meet regularly as needed with Geneva Call’s Steering committee and potentially other stakeholders in Geneva, Switzerland, as well as travel to two field locations still to be identified.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English, good command of French is an added value;
- Must be result-oriented, a team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, tact, diplomacy and integrity;
- Skills in facilitation of stakeholder engagements/workshops;
- Evidence of having undertaken similar assignments;
- Experience in research, policy development, management and programming-related work.
Conflict of InterestAny candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- mandat contract, based in Geneva
- Preferred start date : ASAP