Geneva Call is looking for a Project Officer to be based in Kabul, Afghanistan (national applicants only)
Status :Back to job offers
In situations of armed conflict, Geneva Call, as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian foundation, endeavors to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection. Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit, humanitarian foundation under Swiss law, founded in 1998.
RoleUnder the supervision of the Head of Office (HoO), the Project Officer contributes to the operations of Geneva Call in Afghanistan by supporting the design and taking the lead in the implementation and the management of project(s) in accordance with the programme plans, internal procedures and guidelines as well as donor requirements and security constraints. This position will be recruited nationally.
- Monitor the security situation vis-à-vis the project, project partners and Geneva Call, preparing risk assessments and suggesting mitigating measures to the HoO and following up on incidents as necessary;
Planning, coordination & reporting
- Participate in the drafting of annual and monthly programme plans, budgets, and monitoring plans, in consultation with the HoO and other team members;
- Monitor and report on all project expenses in relation to the budgets and available funding, including supporting documents;
- Responsible for the quality of project implementation and monitoring in accordance with Geneva Call and donor work plans, budget and procedures;
- Manage the safe-keeping of information and knowledge, including through the filing of programme documents and material;
- Collect and analyse, through regular field missions, information relating to the context, conflict situation, humanitarian needs and potential impact on Geneva Call’s work in project area(s) and relay this to the HoO;
Communications & external relation
- In coordination with the HoO, engage local and international organizations regularly;
- Assist the HoO in engaging senior officials and other key stakeholders;
- Provide support in producing external communication material in coordination with the HoO and global/regional communications team(s);
- Draft speaking points and messages for the HoO and other country team members;
- Provide material (photos, videos, and stories from the field) about the project and timely reports to showcase project outcomes and achievements;
- Support the implementation of the communications strategy including activities, campaigns, events and other initiatives
- Attend and represent Geneva Call as required at conferences, seminars and other fora of interest to the organisation;
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the line manager.
- Completed degree of higher education in a relevant field such as political or social science, international humanitarian law or human rights
- At least 3 years of experience in a humanitarian/human rights/protection organisation working in Afghanistan
- Experience with international organisations is preferred
- Required languages: Excellent English, Dari and Pashto
- IT Tools (MS Office, Excel, email)
- Experience in reporting, monitoring and research
- Demonstrable knowledge of humanitarian affairs issues and the capacity for in-depth analysis
- Experience in developing professional relationships with various stakeholders, including armed actors and of working in a neutral and objective manner
- Advanced security management training
Conflict of InterestAny candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Renewable contract for one year, to be based in Kabul, Afghanistan
- Preferred start date: 14/01/2018
- Afghan nationality