Appel de Genève / Geneva Call is looking for a Training Coordinator
Status :Back to job offers
Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting respect by armed non-State actors (ANSAs) for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence, in particular those related to the protection of civilians. Geneva Call is currently focusing its efforts on banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children from the effects of armed conflict, prohibiting sexual violence in armed conflict and working towards the elimination of gender discrimination.
Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit humanitarian organization founded in 1998 under Swiss law.
RoleThe Trainer Coordinator will contribute to the implementation of Geneva Call’s operational strategy by providing training and pedagogical support. She/he will adapt and further develop training/dissemination material on issues related to international humanitarian law (IHL) and international human rights law (IHRL), manage Geneva Call’s pool of trainers and ensure the quality of training sessions provided to target audiences. She/he will also develop internal policies and guidelines. The Training Coordinator will work within the Policy and Legal Unit of Geneva Call and report to the Head of the Policy and Legal Unit and the Head of Near and Middle East Region.
ActivitiesDevelopment of training/dissemination material, tools and policies
- Review and adapt existing training/dissemination material;
- In collaboration with the Thematic Legal Advisers, develop training/dissemination material on new thematic areas of engagement with ANSAs;
- Integrate the use of recognized and innovative training techniques and tools into all training packages;
- Design and apply assessment tools to measure training effectiveness;
- Develop internal training policies and guidelines.
- Build up and coordinate the pool of trainers;
- Coach trainers and strengthen their pedagogical capacities;
- Track training outcomes and consolidate knowledge;
- Carry out administrative tasks, as required.
- Strengthen the pedagogical capacities of Geneva Call’s staff and partners;
- Carry out training sessions for Geneva Call’s external target audiences (ANSAs, community-based organizations, media, political parties, etc.)
- Advanced university degree in education, international law, security studies or a related field;
- Sound knowledge of IHL and IHRL; a military background would be an asset;
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience; field experience in conflict areas with armed actors would be an asset;
- Proven knowledge of adult instructional and learning theory and principles as well as training techniques;
- Experience in capacity-building, mentoring, team leadership and team management;
- Excellent communication, pedagogical and training skills;
- Excellent command of English, good command of Arabic;
- French would be an asset;
- Willingness to work independently with minimum supervision and as a part of a multicultural team;
- Ability to work under pressure and to handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Willingness to travel frequently to high-risk locations, including conflict areas;
- Demonstrable computer literacy, including the MS package;
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
Conflict of InterestAny candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève/Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position: Training Coordinator
- CDI contract, based in Beirut /Lebanon
- Preferred start date : 10.2018