Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is looking for an Operational Communication Coordinator
Status :Back to job offers
Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial humanitarian non-governmental organization that engages with armed non-State actors (ANSAs) to promote their respect for international humanitarian norms in armed conflicts and other situations of armed violence, in particular regarding the protection of civilians.
RoleThe Operational Communication Coordinator is in charge of supporting the definition, as well as the design and implementation of Geneva Call’s operational communication strategy, policy and guidelines, developing innovative approach and tools for operational communication with the objective of promoting awareness of, and understanding and support for Geneva Call’s mission and priorities in the field and supporting the deployment of Geneva Call’s field activities. He/she assumes primary responsibility for coordinating, producing and implementing operational communication activities. His/her reporting lines are the Director of operations (as line manager) and the Director of Communication and External Relations (as technical manager).
ActivitiesGlobal Operational Communication
- Take an innovative approach to operational communication, both globally and in a more tailored manner for specific regions.
- Support in defining and implementing innovation strategy, projects and methodologies that envision, develop and incubate innovative ideas. Develop new concepts, idea for campaigns and dissemination material in the field.
- Produce high-quality and impactful communication products relevant to the targeted audience in drafting any communication material needed at the operational levelDevelop and ensure the dissemination among Geneva Call’s staff of communication policies, guidelines and communication kits.
- Support the design, implementation and follow-up of a programme-related communication plan aimed at promoting knowledge and acceptance of Geneva Call in-country.
- Coordinate, supervise and monitor the implementation of communication activities in the field through mainly the development of field communication officers.
- Support the Director of Communication and External Relations in defining communication strategies and ways forward, providing an analysis of needs and opportunities for communication.
- Develop annual work plans and a budget for operational communication projects and support the Programmes in defining context-specific communication strategies and action plans.
- Contribute to corporate knowledge building and management, providing data and analysis related to best practices and lessons learned from operational communication activities, capturing key project outputs to ensure the communication objectives are met and the strategy is effective.
- At least five years of similar work experience in an international NGO in the fields of communications/marketing.
- Master’s degree in communication, journalism, public relations, marketing or a related field.
- Demonstrated and extensive social media experience.
- Past experience in an incubator, a start-up advisory, social enterprise, innovation space, project management or entrepreneurial experience will have an added advantage.
- Strong digital literacy.
- Strong presentational, writing and editing skills in English and French, including skills in writing for the web.
- Ability to design and implement impactful public campaigns.
- Knowledge of the layout and quality control process for a variety of publications, and knowledge of printing requirements.
- Demonstrable knowledge of humanitarian affairs issues and the ability to conduct political analysis.
- A relevant third language would be an advantage (eg Arabic).
Conflict of InterestAny candidate affiliated to or openly supporting one or more interest groups contrary to the principles and values of Geneva Call, or whose previous activity could cause difficulties for the safety of their colleagues at Geneva Call will be excluded from this selection process.
- Open-ended contract
- Part time position, 80%
- Based in Geneva, with travel to countries in which we have operations
- Preferred start date: last quarter of 2018