Private Fundraising Officer
Status :Back to job offers
Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial humanitarian non-governmental organization that engages with armed non-State actors (ANSAs) to promote their respect for international humanitarian norms in armed conflicts and other situations of armed violence, in particular regarding the protection of civilians.
Founded in 1998, Geneva Call is registered as a Foundation under Swiss law. It carried out 44 projects in 19 countries in 2016, with an annual budget of approximately CHF 5.8 million.
As of to-date, Geneva Call is mainly funded by institutional donors. Following an initial internal evaluation of its various sources of funding and an external feasibility study, Geneva Call is now initiating a specific private sector fundraising strategy that aims to invest more on fundraising among private foundations, major individual donors and companies.
RoleThe Private Fundraising Officer is in charge of maximizing opportunities to securing significant unrestricted income to support Geneva Call’s mission and priorities in implementing Geneva Call’s private fundraising strategy. Under the guidance of the Director of Communication and External Relations, he/she assumes primary responsibility for developing relationships and furthering the understanding of Geneva Call’s mission, increasing its visibility and creating a lasting engagement with the private and philanthropic sectors.
- Define and implement private fundraising strategies and ways forward in order to support Geneva Call’s multiyear strategy and monitor the progress made
- Collaborate with the Communication Team to adapt and develop activities, communication channels and tools to support the fundraising efforts and increase awareness
- Participate in the development and maintenance of a donor database
- Conduct market surveys of corporate, foundation and high net worth individuals fundraising in defined regions/countries
- Identify fundraising opportunities and develop appropriate approach strategies with regard to corporate, foundation and high net worth individuals fundraising
- Draft accurate and timely information on Geneva Call’s programmes and activities adapted to the specificities of a private donor audience, in conformity with Geneva Call needs and priorities, as well as its communication strategies and in close collaboration with the communication team
- Draft and submit relevant and innovative project proposals
- Provide relevant, regular and timely reports to donors
- Develop and maintain relationships with private partners and relevant philanthropic circles
- Organize and ensure the relevant presence of Geneva Call in meetings with (prospective) private partners to promote an accurate understanding of Geneva Call’s role, work and impact.
- Assist in organizing donor events both at Headquarters and field level
- At least 5-year experience of private fundraising in/for international humanitarian organizations
- Demonstrated ability to develop private sector fundraising,
- Proven track record of income generation and meeting financial targets.
- Demonstrable experience in preparing funding proposals and reports, writing narratives and commitments for private donors, developing promotional material, advertising campaigns or marketing events
- Good knowledge of the Swiss fundraising environment and philanthropy
- Existing networks an asset
- Strong presentational, writing and editing skills in French and English
- German would be an advantage
- Very strong communication and people skills
- Persuasive writer
Conflict of InterestAny candidate affiliated to or openly supporting one or more interest groups contrary to the principles and values of Geneva Call, or whose previous activity could cause difficulties for the safety of women and men co-workers at Geneva Call will be excluded from this selection process.
- Full time position, 100 %
- Open ended contract
- Based in Geneva
- Preferred start date: 1 January 2018