Desk Assistant for the Near and Middle East Desk
Status :Back to job offers
Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial humanitarian non-governmental organization that engages with armed non-State actors (ANSAs) to promote their respect for international humanitarian norms in armed conflicts and other situations of armed violence, in particular regarding the protection of civilians.
Founded in 1998, Geneva Call is registered as a Foundation under Swiss law. It carried out 44 projects in 19 countries in 2016, with an annual budget of approximately CHF 5.8 million.
RoleThe Desk Assistant will work under the supervision of the Programme Manager - Desk Coordination to assist Programme Managers in the conduct of activities in all of the NAME region programmes/projects.
ActivitiesActivities Under the supervision of the Programme Manager – Desk Coordination, the Desk Assistant is in charge among other tasks of: Operations
- Supporting the Programmes Managers in the analysis of the context by compiling the information received from the field and by writing briefing notes.
- Providing research and analysis on specific contexts or topics.
- Providing support on project management tools.
- Supporting the Region/Desk in the management and monitoring of information.
- Assisting in/directly drafting of work plans and project proposals.
- Assists in the development of contracts, terms of reference and memorandums of understanding.
- Maintain an updated reporting calendar for the desk’s programmes.
- Support Programme Managers in the reporting processes.
- Drafting certain cross-cutting donor and other reports.
- Ensuring the updating and archiving of strategic documents.
- Ensuring the updating of the operational calendar: projects submissions, reporting, field visits, field events.
- Synthesizing, compiling and developing operational information for internal and external use.
- Providing minutes of meetings and action points.
- Translating documents according to needs and requests.
- Providing logistical and administrative support for various events.
- Providing support in organizing travels for the region team.
- Participating in the construction of certain budgets in support of the Financial Controller.
- Participating in the accounting and financial monitoring of certain missions/projects.
- Supporting the Financial Operations Officer in the monitoring of the budgets.
- Supervises the cross-cutting interns/volunteers in the Region/Desk.
- Liaise with the field officers for reporting matters or when delegated.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience working in NGOs or international institutions, bodies. Experience with institutional donors highly desirable.
- Required: Bachelor in International Relations, Development Studies or related fields
- Desirable: Master degree in International Relations, Development Studies or related field or a related experience.
- Demonstrable computer literacy, including the MS package- Knowledge in accounting
- Very good writing skills
- Excellent command of English and French; and Arabic would be a must
- Precise and rigorous
- Strong organizational skills
- Available to travel (field trips)